I am currently pursuing a doctoral degree in Communication and Culture at York University. My research interests cross-sect digital media, childhood studies, and promotional and consumer culture. I have instructed media and technology courses at Ryerson University and University of Guelph-Humber, and I TA the advertising courses offered by the Communications Department at York University. My 12 years experience working in digital advertising, my teaching degree, and my work as a mother to two young boys, uniquely flavour my academic research.
- Twitter: @cherylwilliams
- Profile on Academia.edu: http://yorku.academia.edu/CherylWilliams
- Profile on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/williamscheryl
- “Are Advertisers Hijacking Playtime with Apps for Babies?” Q with Jian Ghomeshi. CBC Radio. May 29, 2014. http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2014/05/29/apps-for-babies/
- “Are Companies Training Your Babies?” Morning News with Philip Till. CKNW Vancouver. May 29, 2014. http://tinyurl.com/mqr5ag8.
- “Nobody Added York on Google+” The Excalibur, December 1, 2011. http://www.excal.on.ca/nobody-added-york-on-google/
- Blue Sky with Garth Materie. Interview with Phillip Till. CBC Radio Regina. May 27, 2014.
- Central Morning with Leigh Anne Power. Interview with Leigh Anne Power. CBC Radio Newfoundland and Labrador. May 29, 2014.
- CJOB Winnepeg. Interview with Don Cook. May 27, 2014.
- CTV Morning Live. Skype appearance. CTV Regina. May 30, 2014. http://regina.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=373261.
- Moir, Wesley. 2014. “The Rise of Underhanded Marketing for Toddlers.” Graduate Studies News. June 3, 2014. http://fgs.news.yorku.ca/2014/06/03/the-rise-of-underhanded-marketing-for-toddlers/.
- National Post. Interview with Sarah Boesfeld. May 23, 2014.
- Williams, Cheryl. “Courting the Child Consumer: The Role of Media in the Commercial Enculturation of Children.” Presented at Canadian Communications Association Congress, St. Catherine’s, ON, May 28-30, 2014
- Williams, Cheryl. “Oh the Places You’ll Go: Marketing Mobile Apps for the Genius Baby.” Presented at Association for Research in Cultures of Young People Congress, St. Catherine’s, ON, May 27, 2014
- Williams, Cheryl. “Zero to Eight: Mobile Apps and the Future for Brands in the Hands of Children.” Presented at York University Future Communications Symposium, Toronto, ON, Dec. 13, 2013.
- Williams, Cheryl. “Generation “Buy”: Advergames, Immersive Mobile Apps and Branded Virtual Worlds.” Presented at Popular Culture Association of Canada Conference, Niagara Falls, ON, May 9-11, 2013.
- Williams, Cheryl. “Advertising and Influence Through Mobile Games.” Presented at Humanities, Arts, Science and Technology Advanced Collaboratory, Toronto, ON, April 25-28, 2013.
- Williams, Cheryl. “Myth in McWorld: Children, Signs, and Advergames.” Presented at 37th Annual Meeting of the Semiotic Society of America, Toronto, ON, Nov. 1-4, 2012.
- Williams, Cheryl. “Celebrity 2.0: Assessing the Impact of New Media on Celebrity Culture.” Presented at Popular Culture Association of Canada Conference, Niagara Falls, ON, May 10-12, 2012.